Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Help??

Im 12 and if I use braces and I have underbite but know I dont have it anymore because I had rubber bands with my braces can my jaw grow ?
Answer:
I don't quite understand your question. It sounds like you're saying, you have braces. You used to have an underbite. But you don't anymore because you had rubber bands with your braces. Then you're asking if your jaw can grow?The braces and rubber bands are meant to change the way your teeth and jaw fit together. They work by slowly, VERY slowly moving your teeth. It's weird, and kinda gross, but all they do is slowly move your teeth. You know how your mouth is always sore after the orthodontist tightens your braces? That's because the wires and bands he just tightened are putting pressure on your teeth, moving them into place. The rubber bands kinda train your jaw to be in a different spot. They push and pull it into the right place, so you no longer have the underbite. Kinda like showing your jaw muscles where they're supposed to be, and then holding them there long enough so that they know what it feels like to be in the normal spot. Make sense? Your jaw will still be able to grow and develop like normal. It will just grow and develop in a slightly different position, therefore ridding you of your underbite. It will all be fine. Make sure you wear your rubber bands and retainers as instructed to do so by your orthodontist. Otherwise your teeth and jaw might move back into their old places, and you'll have to get braces again. or be stuck with crooked teeth and an underbite forever. I hope I answered your question. Feel free to e-mail me if I didn't understand your question correctly. I had braces twice (didn't wear my retainer). :) Good luck with everything! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment