Saturday, August 8, 2009

How do I plan for getting my wisdom teeth pulled?

I'm having them pulled soon and I know I can't drive away from the place but what to eat and will I need some OTC painkillers or do they usally prescribe something? My parents are helping pay but I don't want to spend money on a prescription if some thing else will do the trick far cheaper. Please only answer if you have helpful advice.Thanks.
Answer:
Seriously, the pain meds will probably be less than $35. Don't skimp on this one... you'll want the extra "help" to get over the pain for the first few days. However, if you are totally bent on not getting them, doctors say that 4 tablets of Ibuprofen 3 times a day for NO MORE than 3 weeks is the best way to get rid of inflammation and swelling. Drink LOTS of water.
Suck on ice.
Get lots of rest.Tylenol PMs or melatonin really help with knocking you out for a good 4-8 hours. Take the recommended dose on the bottle. But if you take the Pm's.. cut back on your ibuprofen in the amount of pills that you are taking to sleep.
They will prescribe pain killers. Some people find them needed and others don't... I DID. If you're not sure the pharmacy will probably let you just pick up a few of the pain killers. If you end up needing them, you can then go get the rest of it filled. Get some stuff to eat like pudding, ice cream, yogurt and jello. I also managed to eat some mashed potatoes before I could chew.Some people recover pretty fast. Some people don't. I was absolutely miserable and in pain for over a week (though all 4 of mine were bony impacts... esh). You might want somebody around who can take care of you, get you ice, etc.Good luck! Some people manage to start eating again in a couple days, so it's not that bad for everyone.
The one thing that I can add to this is that you definitely need to keep pressure on the area where the teeth are extracted. You need a blood clot to form and to stay in the socket. If you lose the blood clot then you get what is called a dry socket and that can be painful and you will need to contact the dentist and you will need to see him again. Most people prefer to have the prescription drugs, but that is up to you. I feel you'll be happy that you bought them. Soft foods are usually recommended. The oral surgeon's office will give you all the information you will need and explain what you need to do. Different people have different reactions, some it doesn't bother at all. My husband needed medication for a couple of days. Just be prepared to take it easy for a few days and keep soft food around. If you get the pain prescription then it'll probably make you tired and allow you to relax while you heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment