Wednesday, August 5, 2009

How can I get my 2 year old to let me brush her teeth? Read more please...?

She clamps her mouth shut and bites me and the toothbrush. She screams like someone is hurting her. I am so afraid her teeth are going to rot. She will not let me do it no matter what. I have tried everything. I have tried letting her do it herself, let her pick out her own toothbrush and toothpaste, let her brush my teeth too, try to do it when someone else is brushing their teeth at the same time, etc.
Why does she refuse? I took her to the dentist and he said she is going to get cavities if she keeps it up. He told me to hold her down and do it. But I tried that and she screams like someone is killing her. I am afraid the neighbors are going to think I am beating her! And it makes me feel so bad.
Answer:
Have the dentist show your daughter a picture of what her mouth/teeth will look like if she doesn't start to brush her teeth.I know it sounds gross, but that is exactly the point. She needs to brush her teeth. It worked for me, I was the exact same way.If the neighbours ask what the fuss is about, tell them she is having some trouble with brushing her teeth.
sorry but you need to hit her im thinkin, not too hard, but just enough to remind her you're her mom and she needs to do what you say
I think you may have to tell her that if she doesn't brush her teeth (or let you do it) you will punish her. I hope you can find a way! Good luck ;)
Tell her she can have a piece of candy after you brush her teeth.Haa Haa I am playin'No tell her that if you can brush her teeth than she can get a story book immediately afterward's but if not then she goes straight to bed...no story ;~(
Once a day is better than not at all.

or this idea...Too funny-- I just read an idea for this in the Happiest Toddler book. He suggests "brushing" random body parts (Now we're going to brush your knee! Now your ear! Now your belly button!) touching each part for a couple seconds, like a super brief game once or twice a day and the theory is that after a couple days they *should* let you touch the teeth, which you can "brush" for a second or so until surely by the time they are in college you can brush the whole mouth for the prescribed two minutes. Oops, I mean it should work within a week or two . . .
Sounds like your daughter knows how to push your buttons and because of her persistence she gets away with murder. I would be willing to bet she gets away with more than just not brushing her teeth and can do it without reprimand or punishment. You might try taking away something she really cherishes until those teeth get brushed properly and she must let you examine them to make sure. Don't give in, she is counting on the fact that if she is bad enough eventually you will. You don't have to pin her down, you have to be one step ahead of her and stick to your guns, don't give in. My children would never be allowed to bite me under any circumstances. They might go with out video games, tv and they might even go straight to bed, but they won't run the show, they will learn respect for the things they have and to take care of those things as well.
I have a two yr old son who also hated brushing his teeth or letting me do it. I ook him to the dentist and they told me the same thing. So I decided to get a second opinion, it just didnt seem right that he was screaming so much. When I went to the seconed dentist he said that my son had exposed nerves on his teeth. He had to have a surgery to take care of all the problems he had, but after that brushing his teeth is no problem. Always get a second Opinion. Good luck and hopefully she grows up to have a beautiful smile.
get one of those 'special' vibrating brushes, or one of the character brushes - let her do it herself, and then help 'finish' up..

No comments:

Post a Comment