Tuesday, August 4, 2009

How can i become a dental hygienist?

I am a foreign dentist from over seas and i currently live in US California. I have passed the dental board part one exam. I would like to become a dentist here in America but the ADA stated that while someone is studying to become a dentist he/she can work as a dental hygienist. Can someone please tell me where to turn to?
(sorry for the unorthodox question)
Answer:
As a dentist myself, I recommend the first place you should turn to is the California Secretary of State office, ask to speak to someone concerning licensing requirements for your state and someone there should be able to answer your questions or will give you the number of someone who can. Good luck, its always nice to meet a fellow dentist!
You have to go to college to become a dental hygienist. Or contact the board of dentistry to find out if you can take licensing tests to be a DH right now (most likely not. You probably have to go to a 2 year college to be eligible to take licensing tests to be a DH).
I am a DH student and there is a woman in my class who was a dentist in Russia. She had to enroll in the college to start from the begining to become a Dental Hygienist. So most likely you have to start all over from scratch.
Visit ADA.org for local dental hygiene colleges near you. Then apply to as many as you can because the programs are very difficult to get into.

No comments:

Post a Comment