Wednesday, August 5, 2009

How can I get a job in a dentists' office?

I am going to school to become a dentist and I am a sophomore in college. I work at a grocery store but I would rather get my foot in the door and get some dental experience. I have met people who became dental assistants without even going to college, they got to work with people doing little things like telling them to spit in a cup and all that. How hard is it to start working at one of these offices? BTW, I don't want to be a receptionist, I want to be in the actual environment. What should I say to the owners of these clinics and how should I present myself?
Answer:
The American Dental Association has a mentoring program designed specifically to get students interested in becoming dentists exposure to the field: http://www.ada.org/public/careers/beaden...You will probably get a more comprehensive experience out of the mentoring program ,because you will be sent to a dentist who wants to interact with students and get involved in questions and answers.Hope this helps, and good luck!
Visit Craigslist.com or Backpage.com
Send a resume in if you are qualified.
Check with your schools career placement counselor. They will assist you in getting an "externship" with a dental group while you are in school. Dentist offices will often contact schools to request "externs".
tell them that u like teeth and stuff
FBI eh?
Just a heads up, dental assisting is a little more than telling people to "spit in a cup". I think you'd be rather shocked if you thought it was going to be a breeze. I worked as a dental assistant for 5 years, and it can be really hard work!
Nina: the best impusle hire I ever made was a young woman who walked in and convinced me she wanted to work in the dental field. She was smart and motivated and had made a decision to change careers in her late 20's. I hired her to do sterilization and odd jobs and she's turned out to be one of the best employees we have. Just last week, she was accepted into hygiene school, which isn't all that easy.First of all, don't shun "receptionist" as if it is out of your scope. If you are going to be a successful dentist, you will have to understand all aspects of a dental practice. Learn the business end, because dental schools don't much focus on that. Front office chores ARE in the "actual environment", so don't knock it.Come in dressed professionally, in business attire. Your resume should be free of any spelling or grammar errors. Grooming should be conservative - if you have piercings or tatoos, remove or cover them. You must believe you can do the job and sell the practice on what you can do for them. Offer to work for free until you contribute.If you really want this as a career, let them know. Someone will take a chance on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment