Tuesday, August 4, 2009

How can I care for a cracked tooth until I get a crown?

I found out Monday that I have a fracture in my #14 tooth. I have an appointment on July 11th to have the prep work done for the crown. I'm really worried about hurting the tooth before my visit. I haven't lost any of the tooth yet, in fact, I didn't even know I had a crack, I thought the pain was being caused by some new composite fillings that I had placed on the tooth next to it. Any suggestions as to what I can do to protect the tooth as best I can until my appointment?
Answer:
The tooth will be prepared for a crown by filing much of it down with the drill to a peg shape,should you break any of it off while you wait for this appointment would be of little consequence,chewing food on the other side of the mouth may strain the joint at the hinge of the jaw which is more of a problem.Just relax enjoy your food and let the dentist worry.You could try a softer diet for a while but really I wouldn't worry.
Dont eat sweets or cakes, and avoid hard objects
if the tooth hurts, get some clove oil at a healthfood market. put it on a q-tip and wipe around the tooth. it will numb the area. otherwise, chew on the other side and if the tooth breaks, call your dentist. they will have to file down the tooth to get the crown on anyway so if it breaks not the end of the world. good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment