Wednesday, August 5, 2009

How can I remove dental calculus, myself?


Answer:
There is not way you can remove calculus, it could only be done by a registered dental hygienist, which are certified to scale your teeth.
This falls under the category of "don't try it at home."You can't see real well inside your own mouth, and it's awkward working on yourself. Combine that with sharp objects, you might cause some serious injury to yourself.Have either a dentist or hygienist scrape that stuff off for you. Much safer that way.
There are metal picks you can buy at a drugstore but it's not really effective for the whole mouth. Because you can only scrape where you can see and it's light scraping. Plus, you can accidentally poke your gums or scratch your teeth if not done correctly. The hygenist's tools can go all the way up the gumline and in between teeth. I think it's good for upkeep but not long term. I use to scrape all the time and thought it was all clean. But at every check-up, more scraping at places I thought I got, lol. Now I don't even use it. I just brush w/electric toothbrush (sonicare, rotadent), floss and cleaning takes less than 5 mins. Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you


    Dental Implants Westport CT

    ReplyDelete