Wednesday, August 5, 2009

How can I keep from constantly chewing my lips, other than the obvious distractions like gum?

I am constantly, constantly chewing my lips, both the inside and the outer. It gets to a point where I cause my lips to bleed, and give myself headachesa and toothaches. I do it without thinking about it, and have tried tons of crude distractions like chewing gum instead, and they just don't work. I'm, not sure I'm interested in hypnotism either.Any solutions? Thanks!
Answer:
get a mouth guard you can get one at a sports store if you have good insurance go to your dentist
Yikes! I do the same thing, and I know what you mean. Sometimes it feels like I have snakeskin for lips when the skin starts peeling off, and then they get all cracked and bleed. I had jaw problems, and actually had to have physical therapy for my jaw both before and after surgery, and that therapist said that doing that is horrible for my jaw (because of that certain movement or something). I got headaches in my temples because of my jaw, so that鈥檚 likely where your headaches stem from (though I do hope it isn鈥檛 as serious as mine was). I still do it all the time, even though she reprimanded me a million times, so I know it鈥檚 a really hard habit to get rid of, though I am still trying. Sometimes, I put chapstick or some other kind of lip product on and remind myself not to lick/chew my lips, so that as soon as I taste it, I know I shouldn鈥檛 be doing it.I know that鈥檚 not much, but honestly, that鈥檚 really all there is. Just keep reminding yourself that it鈥檚 bad whenever you catch yourself. It鈥檚 probably been about two years since I first had therapy and almost a year since I had the jaw surgery/ post surgery therapy, but I catch myself doing it all the time, including as I was typing this!
Get metal lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment