Saturday, August 8, 2009

How do i relive pain from spacers in teeth?

These things hurt like a mother is there anyway to make them not hurt so bad without drugs
Answer:
take motrin, use sensodyne toothpaste, use anbesol (otc numbing gel for the mouth, put it on your teeth and gums). guess two of those are drugs. drugs are the way to go with this one. maybe warm or cool drinks? whichever feels better.
?????
nope, meds, ice.. and sleep.. I dunno when I had them I was so miserable I tried to sleep it off :-/
i know this sounds kind of stupid but i used to bite down on something real hard and it would take away the pain.. also try taking some ibprofien
will Advil and Tylenol will obviously help, but drinking warm home-made salt water will help. Swish it around a bit. The pain will be gone completely in a couple days, don't worry/
suck on ice or a popsicle.
rub ice on your gums
Sadly no. Oragel works though, it numbs the mouth. I absolutely HATE spacers. Girgling with warm salt water works a little bit.
You can use Ora Gel, it is over the counter and you apply it right to the gums were the spacer is. But I would talk to your dentist about the problem. The spacer should not be causing you that much pain. My 10 year old daughter has a spacer and when it hurt her, her dentist made an adjustment and no more pain. I would really get in to see your dentist.Good Luck
Kali :-)Nurse Practitioner
Do you have any whole cloves in your spice rack or kitchen cupboards? I don't know what "spacers" are but whenever I have a toothache, I like to get a whole clove and put it in my mouth by the sore tooth and the strong clove numbs the area after a while w/o drugs and w/o irritation. I also heard from someone that concentrated clove oil is sold sometimes for this purpose but haven't seen it in the store ever myself. (when using the whole clove I usually scrape a little of the outer layer of the clove off before putting it in my mouth, just to get down to the stronger more potent center for faster numbing.)
Unfortunately, the only thing I know of is medication. If the dentist gave you any kind of pain killers (or if you happen to have them on hand from other things), use them! If he/she didn't, then you can at least take aspirin or ibuprofen; it can help you deal with at least a little bit of the swelling. Rinsing with warm salt water can also help, as can using a heating pad.If the dentist didn't give you anything, I suggest calling them and asking them for something to be sent to the pharmacy. That was one of the most unpleasant things about getting braces!Hang in there!
HI,
NO THERE ISN'T W/O DRUGS.TAKE IBUPROFEN.
eat/drink cold stuff. freezies, slushies, ice cream.

31 comments:

  1. Drinking cold stuff kind of works. I just got mine (spacers) about three hours ago and I am in a lot of pain! My mom tends to be a HUGE health nut so no drugs/painkillers for me! Everybody keeps telling me "wait till tomorrow" but the only thing that has EVER hurt more than spacers except breaking my leg! I can't imagine it being any worse! I only hope that what everyone says about the spacers hurting way more than the braces is true because I have to have these in for three weeks and then I will have braces for the next two years. The pains of a beautiful smile I guess! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got mine spacers yesterday and they are so painfull!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea I got mine yesterday to and I woke up and closed my mouth and it hurt soooo bad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got my spacers today she said use advil and something else I can't rember and no tylinol don't know why just don't

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got my spacers today she said use advil and something else I can't rember and no tylinol don't know why just don't

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goty spacers today and its so much constant pressure and I have got my bra es the same day

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got my spacers yesterday and my mouth is killing me. I woke up and couldn't even talk.... what will help??

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got my spacers yesterday I woke up to open my mouth and I'm in so much pain what will help.....I already toke meds didn't help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take advil and it seems to work most of the time, but i find that the sports soft ice packs help the most. I fold them in half and put it over my whole mouth and it feels so good. I also use the ice packs from water bottles and push hard on my cheek with it.

      Delete
  9. I got my spacers yesterday I woke up to open my mouth and I'm in so much pain what will help.....I already toke meds didn't help

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got spacers on Monday and other than the awkward feeling of having something stuck between my teeth, there is no pain... lucky me :-) But, for others who aren't so lucky, my orthodontist recommended ice and Motrin....hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got my spacers this morning and now it's nighttime. it didn't hurt until just a few hours ago. at first it only felt like a sore and i got headaches but now it's hurting so bad. i can't even close my mouth. i had 8 spacers fitted in. i tried drinking cold water and rinse my mouth with warm salted water. still hurting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. take some orajel. i have spacers too and that really helped. it numbs your tooth soyou cant feel it. unless you bite down.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got my spacers yesterday and it hurts like hell

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got mine today and im not sure to what extend is the pain as described above...my pain is when im munching in my food... :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have had mine in for a week and get mine taken out today just to get them put back in
    :( and then i get an expander! YAY :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got my spacers monday and it hurts really bad ive wanted to bang my head against a wall all day i couldnt even focus on my school work ive been sleeping alot because i dont like the pain and its so hard to eat ;(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I literally want to cry! Many times I can shake off pain like in basketball and volleyball. However, this simply just won't go away! It's so hard to eat anything! I didn't eat breakfast or lunch because it hurt soooo bad!

      Delete
  17. I just got them yesterday, and everyone was telling me that the second day is the worst, it's the second day, guess what? IT'S HORRIBLE! But massaging my gums a bit helps, and putting ice on it works too

    ReplyDelete
  18. I got mind to day I really do hurt but if you take warm water and salt then the pain will go away I get them out on August 8,2017 the next day after first day of school I can not wait at all

    ReplyDelete
  19. I got mines yesterday and I AM ABOUT TO TAKE THESE OUT MYSELF! I am in so much pain. I have literally been sleeping all day to avoid the pain. Orajel only lasts for 10 minutes. I haven't tried Motrin though. Hopefully it will work. Wish me luck, 9 more days to go!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oy, got my spacers today and my teeth are dying. I've been taking pain killers, but I can only take them every 6 hours, and it wears off before then. I have to keep myself from tearing them out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i got my spacers yesterday. and now, it’s freaking hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just got my spacers one day before yesterday but now on feeling right side headache pain behind Eyes and badly pain in hain tooth

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My spacers hurt like really bad what should I do?

    ReplyDelete