Saturday, August 8, 2009

How come I brush my teeth twice a day with an electric toothbrush and plaque is still there?

Add anything you think would work or products that are good for your teeth. Thank You
Answer:
It's not only how you brush, but how long you brush. Does your brush have a timer? You need to brush 2-3 minutes. Most people brush less than a minute. Soft brushes are better to use, but take longer to get the stuff off. You also need to change the head of the brush. I usually say around 3 months, but some may need changing sooner.
Floss
You may be due for a hygiene check-up/cleaning. Make sure you are brushing with the correct angle. "Brushing your teeth" is a bit of a misnomer, you are supposed to focus on the junction where your teeth and gums meet. Try more of a 45 degree angle. Mouthwash is always a good idea. It helps freshen the breath and rinse out any stray 'stuff' in your mouth. The new Crest is alcohol-free so it won't burn like the Listerine rinses. And chew gum. There's sugar-free varieties and others that help to keep your teeth clean. But don't rely on the teeth whitening types: they can harm your enamel with long-term use.
Sometimes I think, the tooth business is just like any other problem: genes! Some of us are tall/small, fat/skinny, good teeth, bad teeth.
Surely, you also have heard of people who hardly take care of their teeth, yet have beautiful white healthy ones, as where others, like you, and me, do all they can, yet they still seem to be a problem.
Try to brush after ever meal. I had a similar problem and I know its a pain but I carry a small tooth brush in my purse/car and brush when I can. It reall helps and even though LISTERINE burns they have a bottle that says "keeps teeth whiter and cleaner for up to 12 hours" and trust me that works. Just use 2x a day.
Make sure you're brushing for at least 2 mins. No scrubbing. Let the brush do the work but glide it through all the surfaces. Is the toothbrush head too small or too big for your teeth? That can sometimes be the problem. Use a soft bristle brush. Here's a video on how to brush correctly: http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-brus...
I use Colgate Total and either Listerine or Act mouthwash. The Colgate Total claim to give you 12 hour protection. I don't know if exactly 12 hours but I do feel cleaner until I eat then I have to brush again. Floss everyday too! Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment