Saturday, August 8, 2009

How can you stop grinding at night?

I am a dentist who wants to know if anybody out there has figured out a succesfull way to stop grinding. I treat the side effects but no signtefic solution yet to treat the actual cause. You will be helping a lot of people if you know the answer.
Answer:
I would like to write an article about Bruxism and its effects on Periodontal Disease. I've learned a lot in 21 years of practicing Dental Hygiene. I myself am a Bruxer, and I have learned from watching both my daughters (one grinds, the other doesn't), evaluating patients, and just piecing different information together how significant this problem is.
It is related to our stress levels and how we are programmed to handle stress. If we could all learn to punch punching bags before bed maybe it would release some of the tension. Chemically the only thing I recommend to my patients is to limit caffeine several hours before bed. I'm not sure which would be worse taking sleep medication or grinding my teeth. It sounds like a good idea because it helps you relax, but is the medication doing anything to me internally? We need a "chill pill" that is non harmful to the body. Maybe if someone could invent a lightweight electrode device that mildly shocked the jaw muscles when they were contracted. Sounds good, but not sure if its do-able. I must add though...if bruxism is eliminated, many dentists will find a big reduction in dental work needing to be preformed..hmmmmmm
my dentist recommended a sport guard worn while sleeping.
I've been told by friends that hypnosis helps...I don't know
how, but they said it works for them...
I am not a doctor, but I used to grind. I also had sleep problems and anxiety related to depression. I take Ambien and Trazadone before going to bed now and my husband says I never grind my teeth anymore. I also get a better sleep and my anxiety has subsided.Good luck! :)
Stress managment.
My wife tells me when I grind my teeth at night. I have found that stress and thinking about problems just before bed adds to the frequency.
I don't think you can stop the grinding, but if a person wears a bruxism appliance (dental guard), they won't be damaging their teeth. If you are a dentist, don't you offer this service at your clinic? I had mine made at the dentist's on recommendation from my chiropractor.
i dont know how to stop either, but i do it, and i wear guards, like the hockey players, and it works.....i have tmj and grinding agrivates it, this really helps, you can get them otc, or fitted ones designed just for you at your dentist
As one doctor to another (by the way THIS doctor can spell scientific) I recommend pulling out all the teeth of the person who is having trouble grinding their teeth at night. I have found this corrects the problem almost immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment