Wednesday, August 5, 2009

How can the gums be regrown?


Answer:
When I had gum disease and two areas that were particularly damaged, my dentist put me on periostat. It is basically a low dose antibiotic that I had to take for 3 months. Additionally, I start using a sonicare toothbrush. Over the course of a year or so my gums have recovered completely. My problem was fairly limited and caught early, so I'm not sure this would work for severe problems.
You mean after some sort of wound? They'll re-grow on their own. The body has its own system of healing itself.
To my knowledge they cant
I had a gum problem (because of a lost tooth due to an accident) and after many visits to different dentists all across my area, I'm pretty sure when I write: gums do not "grow back". There's gum grafting though (but only for covering up roots).
If it's from brushing too hard, no. I have the same thing. Switch to a soft bristle brush to try to stop the receding. Ask your dentist how to brush correctly. It helped me a lot. Switching and brushing correctly can make it come back slightly but never like it was before. Depending on the recession, there is a thing called gum grafting. Where they take tissue from the roof of your mouth and place it over the receded areas. My doc also placed a filling there. See a dentist for more info. If it is the gum between the teeth, it may come back slightly. Depending on if it caused by gum disease or if you are flossing incorrectly. Best to ask your hygienist about it. If it's from extractions, yes, your hole will heal. I had all 4 wisdom teeth taken out and it takes about 2 months to fully heal. If it's just small cuts, yes, your body will heal. If it's larger, best to see a dentist or a doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment