Tuesday, October 13, 2009

How do they tighten braces?

I just got my braces on friday and my mouth is sore. When they wire your mouth up and put the rubber bands on, are they tightening your braces or are they just wires on? The orthodontist was pushing on my teeth and wiring them one at a time so is it tightening? Also if not, how do they tightened braces? thanks
Answer:
They do put on smaller and different kinds of wires to help the teeth move into the places they should be. The wires are different lengths and different shapes. Your orthodontist was attaching the one wire to your individual brackets one at a time. If you look closely, you have tiny rubber bands on each bracket holding the wire on. Don't worry, the pain will go away and it will get better. I've had braces twice myself.
braces are tightened by the orthodontist, after your teeth settle from rubber bands pulling them in the direction the need to go. he will put wire in at every visit that is smaller or bent in direction your teeth need to be. take advil it will help, also light clenching will make it more bearable.
Differs per person, per appointment. My first 'tightening' was simply a change of elastic ligatures and a powerchain. The same wire was used. You may feel pushing, but it isn't, it's just changing the elastic ligatures that go round the bracket.

No comments:

Post a Comment